Pics and stories from Adam and David and Erez and's trip to Oz

Monday, April 24, 2006

Together again

I sit here in a room filled with advertisments for cheap airfare and international calling cards. I am in a place surrounded by asian people in a land where not one asian lives. However the man beside me isnt asian, he is the sole member of his race, a race that prides itself in hair gel, long shorts, and too much colgne aka David. We are in Cairns Australia, and we both have our own little adventures that led us here. We both are rushing to tell you our stories, as David writes an entry in this blog beside me.

How did I get here? Well: I was in Melbourne for a while as I believe has already been mentioned. This was definitely one of the best passovers EVER!!!! My first couple days back in Melbourne, I went sight seeing with Jenna (a girl that we had met during our last visit to Melbourne). One Museum, two art galleries, the parliment building, the victoria library, and a autum walk through the botanical gardens later for some reason i found myself drunk of my ass at the esplanade hotel. GREAT DAY

Throughout the week there wasn't a dull moment, one of our flatmates from Sydney made the move to Melbourne, and my new found friends through Lara and the Jew connection were in town, so there were plenty of people to go out with. Not to mention Fay and Bruce, over the week, I had the oppertunity to have dinner a couple times just the three of us, as well as a nice lunch out a las chicas (mmmm' poached chicken brie and avacado sandwhich ), and some quality time out for coffee with bruce. Despite quite the age gap for family in the same generation (fay and I are second cousins) I found it very easy to relate to them. There is never a boring moment in the Joske house, they are always on the move, entertaining friends, going out to shows and such. I consider both of them more than just family but also role models and friends.

Later in the week I checked out the Melbourne Comedy festival....terriffic, terriffic. I saw a live performance by Dimitri Martin. He had great delivery and more than just stand up. With guitar piano and hand drawn pictures displayed on an overhead, I pretty much laughed my ass off for two hours.

My last night out in melbourne we went out to all of these hidden bars and clubs hidden in alleys in the city. Melbourne is like that, unlike toronto where club owners go out of their way to make sure their club is very visible, in Melbourne they kinda try to hide it from you. But we found some local girls and stuck to them like glue and they took us (three canadian boys) all around. Got home at four in the morning; hurt like hell the next day.

Then off to go sugarcane farming in Innisfail, Queensland. So I went to the airport, Bruce was nice enough to drive me at 7 30 in the morning (I know arent they great), my plane took off at nine. My experience was like something out of a meet the parents type movie.
I bought a ticket online with my credit card, so that I could retrive my ticket from the auto check in machines and not have to wait in line. But unfourtunately there was a rather long line just to drop off my bags for check in. So I wait about twenty minutes and finally I am at the front of the line. Just as the next available attendant was going to call me over, this fanaticall woman runs in front of everyone yelling "DON'T LET THE PLANE TAKE OFF WITHOUT MY DAUGHTER.... YOU HAVE TO STOP THE PLANE" naturally every single attendant working for virgin blue airlines had to attend to her right away! So I waited at the front of the line for a good ten to fifteen minutes. Then I got to check my bags, but I have a guitar with me so I had to bring it downstairs to the check in for oversized luggage. Normally this is about a five second thing, there is never a line, you just show the guy your boarding pass and then he takes my cheapy guitar away. But not today, today there were twelve old ladies going on a golf trip and they all remembered their clubs. Twenty minutes later I am dashing towards gate three, on an empty stomach just in time to barely make my flight. The good news however is that I had three seats to myself at the back of the plane, so I stretch out and sleep and get off the plane really quickly after. Nope not on this day, you see in the fourth seat over that is where the six month old baby was sitting. His cuteness made up for his crying.
So the plane landed, and I dashed out of my seat toward the back exit beside me when a voice comes on over the PA system and says 'due to the rain in Cairns today we will all be exiting through the front exit." So as I waited for every other person to get off the plane before me, I took a quick look out the window just in time to notice that it is a beautiful sunny day outside.

From the airport I took a bus straight to Innisfail, where the farmer huy is going to pick me up from the bus stop.

This is where the story really gets scary, so I will try to find a scarrier font... one second...ummm.. how about...no this isnt that scary...this isnt even a font...that says this isnt even a font...this is kinda scary....This is the scarriest for sure though...

So the guy picks me up in this gross trailer. He is a fat guy with with a mole over his lip with lots of hairs growing out of it. He kinda looked like the scary guy from Wolf Creek, but he his left leg didnt work so well and his toe nails seemed like they have never been tended too. Not to mention the fact that he is driving and not wearing shoes, come to think of it I am pretty sure he doesnt own shoes. So it turns out that this farm is just a house that looked like a hurricane hit it, which wasnt shocking because innisfail had just been hit by one recently. It didnt take me to much time to realize that this actually was just a coincidance and that this is not a farm, It is a back yard, and he wasnt growing anything at all. The inside of the house looked like a dungeon, no really a fucking dungeon. He made me and the only other guy there chicken for dinner, he did this with his filthy hands and a filthy frying pan. There were bugs flying around everywhere,his giant dog had giant flees. In the middle of the floor was a two peices of buttered bread, I was too scared to ask what for. There was a small room for us to sleep in, there was one bed, so one of us had to sleep on a box spring. The other guy offered, I dont know why. He gave us sheets and said he just washed them. They smelled like pee, so by washing he must have meant pissed on.

Any way there is no way that I can express how scary this truly was. I just cant articulate well enough to describe how terrifying this place was. I will tell you all about it when I get back.
The next morning I bailed for the bus stop and took the first bus back to Cairns, tomorrow I am going to find a real farm to work on, one in which i know people who have been there and say its not a dungeon.

For now, I am going to enjoy Cairns and Enjoy Davids company till we depart from eachother once again tomorrow...tear! Please keep reading on to hear Davids story of the past week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

View My Stats